In Association with
CPD/CME Points: 3
This half day course has been specifically designed for clinical negligence expert witnesses (both new and experienced). By way of both case examples and a Q&A session, this interactive course will review substantive clinical negligence law. In particular, it will explore the legal concepts and principles applicable to clinical negligence cases, which it is essential the expert witness understands and is up to date with. It will also explore the practical effect and impact of those concepts and principles on clinical negligence cases.
The course can be attended either as a free-standing course or in conjunction with Clinical Negligence Essentials Part 2: the practical aspects of being a clinical negligence expert
Key topics covered:
- The law relating to clinical negligence and the practicalities for you as a clinical negligence expert
- What is required to be proved in clinical negligence claims
- Duty of care owed by medical and health professionals, including when a duty is owed, to whom and for what
- Breach of duty and standard of care, including the tests applied with particular consideration of Bolam, Bolitho and Montgomery
- Consent post-Montgomery
- Causation, including the ‘but for’ and ‘material contribution’ tests, remoteness and scope of duty
- An interactive case example helping demonstrate the above
This course will evidence your ongoing compliance with the expert witness CPD training requirements for Health Professionals - Acting as an expert or professional witness – Guidance for healthcare professionals
The Digital Hub
Upon booking your place on one of our courses, you will be given exclusive access to the Bond Solon Digital Hub, which will provide you with the following benefits:
- Access and download all of the information you need for your course
- Receive web and email notifications reminding you of any pre-course work to complete prior to attending the course
- Access a range of news, insights and practical resources directly relevant to your expert witness work
- Be alerted to changes in law and procedure that directly affect your expert witness work
- Access updated materials for the courses you have already attended
About the trainer
This course is being delivered by expert clinical negligence lawyer, Dr Jock Mackenzie of Anthony Gold Solicitors. Jock is recognised as one of the leading Clinical Negligence Lawyers in England and Wales. Jock has particular interest in neurological and brain injury, cerebral palsy caused by birth injury, spinal cord injury and neurosurgery cases. Jock’s medical and legal understanding gives him an advantage with the forensic analyses and intellectual challenges where the law and science meet, qualities that are recognised by peers in the legal profession as well as valued by clients.
Due to VAT regulations, if you are booking outside the UK, please contact the office.