The Courts are increasingly vigilant at ensuring that expert witnesses fully understand and fulfil their duty to the court, and all their obligations under the Civil Procedure Rules. They have taken serious action against those experts who have failed to do so, including criticism in the final judgement, making costs orders against the expert witness and considering ordering imprisonment for contempt of court.
Expert witnesses are required to sign a Statement of Truth, a Declaration that they are aware of Civil Procedure Rule 35, Practice Direction 35 and the Guidance, and a statement that they have complied with their duty to the Court in their reports. If called to give evidence, they could be cross-examined on their understanding of the Rules. Expert Witnesses therefore cannot sign those declarations without reading and fully understanding CPR35, PD35 and the Guidance.
Instructing solicitors also require evidence that expert witnesses have a full understanding of the Rules and know how to comply with them.
To provide experts with the knowledge they require to comply with the Civil Procedure Rules, and to satisfy instructing solicitors and the courts, Bond Solon has developed an interactive e-learning course - Introduction to Civil Procedure Rules (England and Wales)
This e-learning course includes:
- 8 modules: (1) Background (2) Overriding objective, the need for expert evidence, overriding duty (3) Instructions, information, orders and directions (4) Reports and written questions (5) The single joint expert (6) Discussions between experts (7) Concurrent expert evidence (8) Sanctions
- Videos, self-study materials and knowledge tests that enable you to evaluate your understanding of the subject
- Certificate of completion for your training records, appraisals and revalidation (if applicable) – upon successful completion of the modules and knowledge tests
Benefits of the Training
- Allows you to demonstrate to instructing parties that you have a comprehensive understanding of CPR35, PD35 and the Guidance
- Enables you to sign the Declaration of Awareness with confidence
- Helps you comply with the expert witness training requirements laid out by the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (medical experts only)
- Counts towards 6 hours CPD and revalidation (if applicable)
- Differentiates you from other experts within the same field
- Can be completed in your own time at your own pace
- Badge of completion provides you with a useful marketing tool to assist in the growth of your expert witness practice
Important Note – To purchase this online course via our website, please follow the steps below:
Field 1. Check Availability - Select Online
Field 2. Select a date - Select any date from the list
Please note that this is not the starting date of your online course. This step enables you to be redirected to the Bond Solon online basket where you will be able to confirm your purchase.
Once we have received confirmation of your online booking, you will be given access within two working days to our Bond Solon e-learning platform that hosts the Legal Update for Expert Witnesses online course. You will then be able to study at your own pace in your own time.
Alternatively please call us on 020 7549 2549 to purchase this course
This is an online module to complete in your own time. Please select the date of 30th December 2025 when booking. You will get access to the online course as soon as your booking is processed.