Best Interest Assessor (BIA) Legal Update/ Refresher Training - overview
As you know, in order to continue to practice as a BIA it is a legal requirement that you attend a BIA Legal Update / Refresher course within every 12 months after you have qualified.
It is essential that you are equipped with the key skills and knowledge to operate to best practice standards now, which will enable you to go forward into the proposed Liberty Protection Safeguards and perhaps qualify as an Approved Mental Capacity Professional.
Delegates will revisit and understand the ethos, values and principles which support the Mental Capacity Act 2005, particularly in relation to the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) and their implications for the role of the Best Interest Assessor.
The interpretation of the legal framework through recent case law will be explored, and the implications these have in daily practice.
Key Learning Points
- Consideration of the continued impact of the 2014 Supreme Court judgement in Cheshire West, particularly, in light of the recent Staffordshire Ombudsmen Report
- The increased role of the Court of Protection in Community/Domestic deprivation of liberty cases to include relevant case law
- Update on both European and domestic case law relevant to deprivation of liberty to include Covert medication, life saving treatment, the difference between public law decisions on available options vs best interests, conditional discharge and DoLS, CTO and DoLS, recent section 21A appeals, capacity to consent to sexual relations, internet and social media, fluctuating capacity – micro vs macro decisions
- Self neglect, capacity and the use of the inherent jurisdiction of the High Court
- Assessing capacity – good practice guidance – to include BPS Guidance May 2019, CQC Guidance on Sexual Relations, NICE Guidelines
- Review of CQC annual DoL report, statistics and trends, latest DoLS news, research and guidance
- Looking to the future: an overview of the Mental Capacity (Amendment) Act 2019 and the “Liberty Protection Safeguards” with a close look at the various roles the Safeguards will introduce to include the Approved Mental Capacity Professional role.
Special price for Bond Solon Accredited Best Interest Assessors
If you have received your BIA Qualification from Bond Solon, we are happy to offer you a 20% discount on this course. Please contact the Bond Solon team for your 20% off code.