Best Interest Assessor (BIA) Legal Update/ Refresher Training - overview
As you know, in order to carry practice as a BIA it is a legal requirement to attend a BIA Legal Update / Refresher course every 12 months after you have qualified.
Over this one day course, the interpretation of the legal framework through recent case law will be explored, and the implications these have in daily practice.
Delegates will revisit and understand the ethos, values and principles which support the Mental Capacity Act, particularly in relation to the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) and their implications for the role of the Best Interest Assessor in light of the House of Lords Select Committee post legislative scrutiny of both the MCA and DoLS.
Key Learning Points
- Understand and apply the Mental Capacity Act 2005 in carrying out capacity assessments in light of recent and relevant case law and guidance
- Reflect and discuss significant case law relevant to the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards, from HL v UK to P v Cheshire West and P & v Surrey County Council and the recent Court of Appeal Judgment in R (Ferreira) v HM Senior Coroner for Inner South London & Ors (2017) EWCA Civ 31
- Consider the role of the Court of Protection in community deprivation of liberty settings in light of Sir James Munby’s recent judgement in X and Others (Deprivation of Liberty)
- Understand the “Acid Test” and the implications for care homes, hospitals, shared lives, supported living and own home situations Restriction on, and deprivation of liberty
- Correctly apply the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) – in particular Article 8 – right to respect for private life, home, correspondence and family life and the implications on Article 5 – Right to liberty
- Be able to create, collate and analyse relevant evidence within the DoLS process to best practice standards
Special price for Bond Solon Accredited Best Interest Assessors
If you have received your BIA Qualification from Bond Solon, we are happy to offer you a 25% discount on this course. Please quote BIA25 to redeem this discount.